Friday, June 4, 2010

My hero…My Daddy

If you truly know me, you know I am a complete daddy's girl. I have been from the day I was born. I am very close to my dad and consider him my best friend. There really isn't much I can't talk to him about. I am very lucky...most people I know are not close to their parents. Mine are my best friends and biggest supporters.

It was around 4 years ago that I was reminded you can not assume your loved ones will be around forever. My dad has not been a healthy man most of my life. In 1988 he had triple bypass open heart surgery and was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. In 1998 he had a triple angioplasty to unblock the 3 veins he received in his bypass surgery 10 years before. In 2001 he had another heart attack and was told they would not do surgery because his heart could not take it, so for the past 9 years it has been treated medically. About 14 or 15 years ago he was diagnosed with Peripheral Neuropathy in his lower legs & feet. Definition: peripheral neuropathy refers to the variety of conditions that result when the nerves from the rest of the body that connect to the brain and spinal cord are damaged or diseased. Basically, he can't feel his feet & lower legs. So, if he cuts his foot or bangs his leg into something he won't feel it, and won't realize it is there until he sees blood or a bruise.

Four years ago my dad stepped on what I think was a nail (from the look of the wound), didn't know right away, noticed blood and/or puss in his sock, and started treating it at home with Epson salt, peroxide and Neosporin. Now, in the past this has worked for him when he had sores on his feet. This time he was not so lucky. He went to our family doctor on a Friday and his foot had gotten so red & swollen, our doctor was shocked. So what does the doctor do? He tested him for diabetes...guess what? Yep...he has it. And most likely has for as long as he's had the Neuropathy...for both diseases generally coincide with each other. I took him to the ER and he was quickly admitted. Tests, x-rays and blood work was done again and again.

The surgeons spoke to us to tell us what had to be done. The 2nd toe (one next to the big toe) was for sure being amputated. Once they did that, they would be able to see how deep & how high the infection went in his foot. IF the infection went higher than the toe, they said they'd have to amputate his foot below the toes. He'd still have most of his foot, just a partial part missing. IF it went higher than that, they'd amputate mid-calf. So, of course, we think the worse not knowing any better. And we wouldn't know until he was IN surgery. Without a doubt it was one of the worst nights of my life. Not to mention his. I couldn't imagine what he was feeling & thinking. My dad is a very strong man, doesn't show emotion. In my 33 years of life I've seen him cry 2 or 3 times...when his mother (my Nana) died, and when our dogs Prissy and Girl died. Well, I saw him cry that night. And it totally broke my heart. This is my Dad...my hero. The type of man I hope I find...caring, strong, giving, and trusting. My dad is everything to me...always has been, always will be.

They ended up only taking the one toe. The infection had gone a little higher, but IV antibiotics did the trick in getting rid of it rather than more amputation. His left foot is what we now call his problem foot. He gets wounds and has to go to the wound care clinic weekly to make sure the infection doesn’t spread. We are fighting one right now that the doctors suggest be skin graphed because of the size and placement. Naturally, he is concerned with the healing process with his diabetes.

My point to all of this rambling is to not take for granted those you love. They may not be here tomorrow. It is a known fact everyone dies. You will lose those you love. But while you do have them here, make the most of it. And definitely make sure they know how much you care. I tell my dad everyday I love him…my mom too.

No comments:

Post a Comment